Working with engravable wood
Wood as a material is now more popular than ever. Its pleasant and vital appearance makes engravable wood the favourite material for timeless top quality applications and uses. Trotec makes sure that the best possible aspects of the laserable wood, and so the naturalness and quality of the wood, are carefully retained.
Advantages of Trotec engravable wood:
- High quality appearance, authentic look and feel
- Homogeneous wooden structure
- Thin oiled finish for surface protection
- Trotec laserable wood sheet size optimized for laser bed sizes
The Trotec engravable wood products are selected for laser applications. Both the natural wood as well as the MDF and laserable Plywood sheet alternatives allow for fine detail marking and cutting with a laser. Learn how to determine engraving parameters for solid wood and veneers. Read important tips for perfect engraving results on solid wood, veneers and plywood.
Wood can be engraved and cut with CO2 lasers with excellent results, and is frequently used as a material for model making and for structural elements. It is also a popular material for the production of personalized gifts, product displays, and high quality design elements.
- To achieve a good color contrast with wood, a Z-offset of approx. 2mm is helpful. The higher the Z-Offset, the higher the contrast. Otherwise, if you want a fine detailed engraving result, reduce the engraving speed (around 20%) and use a Z-offset of maximum 2mm.
- To achieve a white engraving, don't use too much power
- If the engraving is weak at the edge, increase the correction value
- For better engraving and cutting results, a good suction is helpful. Place the wood in the laser and cover the rest of the table with paper to increase the suction.
Our laserable wood products are natural wood sheets, so they could look and react a little bit different every time. To find the right laser parameters, we suggest to make a test matrix before. See in our tutorial how it worksand download the graphic template. It is the fastest and easiest way to achieve best engraving results.
For cleaning, use only a little water; a damp cloth with a drop of detergent is usually enough to remove dirt.
- Use a wood glue
- Thoroughly clean and then dry the sides before bonding.
- Ensure you don't use too much adhesive, it may ooze out and affect the result
We recommend that you allow time for the wood to acclimatise to its new environment before processing.
Ideally maintain in an area with constant temperature and humidity.